Sunday, April 29, 2012

Well I have heard more about that K12 internet program. I didn't hear rave reviews. At a conference I recently went to the speaker was talking about K12 and he said that it was horrible because it didn't take into account the individual student so ESL students or struggling learners could easily be left behind. I also think that there is a huge equality factor in online programs because not all students have parents that have the time or the education to extensively help their child with school. Many students have a really hard time learning on the internet with no human contact.


On a totally unrelated subject:

My daughter's friend got a rash so I was googling to see if I could guess whether it was a strawberry allergy or chicken pox so that I could keep an eye on my daughter if it looked like something contagious. I have googled illnesses many times, and I usually find several articles and a few pictures of whatever it is that I am exploring. This time a video came up where a pediatrician talked about strawberry allergies. What was interesting relating to this class is that I had never really thought about the literacy required to google a child's illness until the video came up. When I got to thinking about it, a person has to be pretty literate to get any help from those sites, digitally and otherwise. A person needs to be digitally literate in order to navigate the computer to find what they are looking for in the first place and they must also be able to read and understand high level words in order to make meaning of what the site says about the illness. Videos, especially if they are found on a very easy to navigate site like YouTube could create some equality for those who aren't literate because really, in the digital age, everyone deserves to be able to check their child's symptoms on the internet (even if sometimes that just leads to paranoia!). I remember when my oldest son was young my parents bought me a book of common child illnesses. Every time he got sick I would refer to that book. He is only 11, and now I would never think of looking in a book to find a child's symptoms. Interesting how that works.

My question is, is it better that things are so available in video now, or do you think that videos being available to people encourage people not to practice literacy. I feel conflicted. In a way I always feel it is a little sad when audio/visual things replace texts, but in a way I like that audio/visual things might make directions, instructions and information available to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I have taught online, as a contract teacher. I think the success of kids vary. I teach high school courses. I see the success vary. Some kids really do need the human and in person relationship in order to thrive, other kids do amazing work in online courses. I really do not think kids should take ALL their courses online and I do not think it would be a teacher entirely online. But, I think online courses are really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, Abigail. As you know, I am all about online learning, but I hadn't realized that so many K-12 students had technical issues learning online. My first thought is that how-to videos should accompany the learning materials. How about tutorials in Spanish? Do you think these things would help? How about mobile devices - do you think most kids have iPhones or android phones that would enable them to access online materials? I'm just curious. A lot of leaning around the world is focused these days on mobile learning. The main reason is that most people in developing countries can afford and use a phone, while computers are still too expensive and internet connections are difficult to access. ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete